I primarily work on a 27" 2011 iMac with a 21" Dell second monitor. I use the Wacom Intuos 4 Large tablet with my right hand and a Magic Trackpad with my left hand. I use a Rode Podcaster to make sound and Harman Kardon SoundSticks to hear it.
My away-from-my-desk setup is a 2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina with some Lazerwood Walnut Keys and a Karma hotspot to conquer shoddy internet.
There are a handful of apps I launch every time I turn my computer on:
- Mail.app for email
- Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, and Keynote for designing
- Google Chrome for browsing
- Messages for chatting with friends
- Skype for talking to friends
- TeuxDeux (by swiss designer Tina Roth-Eisenberg - WSP) to know what to do
- Twitter for spying on friends
- Notational Velocity for ideas
There are also apps that I have automatically startup with my computer:
- Dropbox for my files
- F.lux for my eyes
- Alfred for easy access to everything
- Droplr for quick image sharing
- Divvy for window management
- Backblaze for file backup
- Editorially (through Fluid) for writing
I just had my office built from scratch, so I have most of my dream setup already. If I were to add one thing, I'd probably want to try out a Cintiq 22" HD Touch.
When I need inspiration, I just take a walk upstairs to see my wife and my daughters. Instant recharge.